Eleven steps from CargoNet that can help your company prevent theft, as well as aid in cargo recovery in the event that you suffer a loss:
1. Ask local police agencies to make routine checks of facilities during holiday down time.
2. Avoid having loaded trailers sit unattended when employees are not present. If loaded trailers do need to sit unattended, be sure that they are parked in secure areas.
3. Make sure that both security managers and drivers have accurate license plate, VIN, and descriptive information for tractors, trailers, containers, and container chassis’. Police agencies will need this information to open a investigation in the event of an incident.
4. Consider deploying covert tracking devices in product and on trailers. If using tracking devices, be sure to geo-fence all stationary trailers that are not being actively monitored.
5. Secure all tractors with high-security locking devices, such as, air-cuff and tractor steering joint locks.
6. Secure all trailers (loaded and unloaded) with high-security ISO 17712 compliant barrier seals in combination with hardened padlocks. Utilize king pin locks for unattached trailers.
7. Check to make sure that facility lighting, back-up generators, alarm system(s) and surveillance equipment are all in good working order.
8. Never treat any alarm signal as a “false alarm”. When targeting warehouse locations, cargo thieves tend to trip facility alarm systems multiple times before breaking-in to give law enforcement and facility managers the impression that the alarm system is malfunctioning.
9. Remove keys from all facility equipment, especially motorized pallet jacks and forklifts.
10. Document and report all suspicious activity that occurs in and around a facility to security personnel and the CargoNet operations center. This information can be critical to law enforcement in the event of a cargo theft incident.
11. If you are a victim of a theft, immediately notify local law enforcement, and call the CargoNet operations center. The CargoNet operations center will be standing by over the holiday in the event that you need support.
To report a cargo theft, call 1-888-595-CNET (2638).